Roleplay Forums > Character Activities > Character Journals > Training of a Warrior
Jadira

Character Info
Name: Jadira Lombelon
Alignment: CG
Race: Elf
Class: Fighter
Silver: 646
Dear Journal, Rielle has given me a journal so that I may record what has happened in my life and a way to explore my emotions. I don't really see the point in this. Especially since I won't let anybody else see the writing. But she is my mentor so I suppose she knows what she is doing. Today I woke up in a small cabin. Normally I awaken in an inn of some sort but since I am training with Rielle she has offered to let me stay in her home. The nicest thing about the cabin is the fact that there aren’t any nosy neighbors and nobody is trying to convince me to buy alcohol. Unlike every single inn I’d ever been to. I wake up at dawn and that’s usually when my training begins. However I’m not waking up this early to begin fighting. It isn’t as easy as it was back at guard training. Instead of regular warm ups to start out with we must go on a hike through the cold winds and land. Then we have to sit out in the snow and meditate. After a session of meditation, we head back to the cabin. Once we are warmed up, we stretch. Then I have to do some pushups and then my warm up is over. Back at home our warm ups would have consisted of stretching then straight to the fighting. Of course this is one on one training while the guards had to train a lot of teens and adults. The guards needed to train as fast as they could while also teaching discipline to a bunch of wild children. So their training would be a little more basic. I don’t mind the stretching or the pushups. I just don’t understand the meditation part. Why is it necessary? I don’t dislike doing the hike but I just don’t understand why it is necessary to meditate. All we do is sit there and do nothing. It serves no purpose. However Rielle’s rules were to complete the training without complaint. So that’s what I’ll do. But she never said I couldn’t complain about it in my journal. Besides Rielle explained that the journal was meant for me. She wasn’t going to critique it or even look at it. The journal was part of my training but it was a part that I needed to complete without somebody looking over my shoulder or checking it. Or at least that’s what she explained to me. This means I can write whatever I like and Rielle can’t do anything about it! Otherwise I’ll know she has read it and has contradicted herself. Either way I win. After warm ups is when we get to hand to hand combat. This I understand a lot more than the meditation. I already knew that I wasn’t always going to have a sword with me to defend myself. In fact a lot of warriors apparently died due to being unable to take an opponent without a weapon. Or at least that’s what Rielle said. I believe her completely. She’s the type of person who had been in battle before. Not just as a wandering warrior but also as a soldier. Rielle keeps her door locked and never lets me see what is inside her room. But there was one time when I had a question for her later in the evening. I thought she had been in her room since the door was unlocked. I pushed the door open only a little before I heard Rielle ask me what I was doing. I explained I was looking for her and she directed me back to the main room so I could ask her a question. But in that moment where I had opened the door I saw half of a suit of armor. Not just any armor but the type of soldier armor I had seen at home. The armor was scratched up and damaged. Which made me wonder what kind of battles she had been in. Perhaps I’ll ask someday. Once hand to hand combat is over then we move on to stances and moving around while fighting. This we do outside. It is cold but Rielle had explained that my opponents wouldn’t choose a day with perfect temperature to fight me. They’ll just fight with me whatever weather so I would have to deal. I hadn’t been complaining but I think the expression on my face summed up what I was thinking. I’m trying to adjust without a complaint but this is my first day with her real training. Before she had me just cleaning and lifting heavy things. Now it was real and completely different from what I expected. And though I might complain a bit I actually do enjoy the training. Rielle is a good teacher and she always explains or shows why we do certain things. She is understanding and kind although she can be a little strict at times. At times it seems that she plans out everything and designs it in a way that I’ll learn best from. Which I really appreciate. I know this because after training is over she starts planning out the next training session. I’m glad she’s my teacher. Although I’ll never admit it or she would start teasing me about going soft. The stances part of the session was a little difficult since I was slipping and sliding over the snow. Rielle showed me that if I bended my knees more, it would be easier to balance. This made it a bit easier but I still ended up falling alot. I didn’t really get physically hurt but I ended up getting more frustrated at the snow. Somehow I managed through this part and then Rielle called a break. We went inside and warmed up by the fire. I had some soup and some bread then Rielle handed me a book. The book held information about Egjora. It was a small book but had contained much information about the land. I only got to read the first chapter though. Still it was fascinating to read all about Egjora. I had the basic education in what the lands outside Adeluna were but I’d never been able to go into detail. The first chapter explained how the city of Egjora came to be. Apparently the ancestors of a select few of merchants had created the city centuries ago. Now these families ruled over Egjora with Gyndnegle as the head family. But from what the book explained about the city though it was clear that the bank was the true power of Egjora and the wealthy ruled the lower classes with an iron fist. Then I finished the chapter and asked Rielle about it. Rielle explained that the author was a man who had once been part of the upper class but had fallen out of favor. As a result he ended up with the middle class and was able to see the way that the people were treated better. He started writing this book secretly and spent the rest of his life working to make as many copies as he could. He had then sent all these copies out to not only to Egjora but the rest of Canelux. The author then disappeared shortly after the books went out. Rielle explained that he had probably been killed by an assassin or some hired thugs. But the merchants and the bank were unable to retrieve all the books. That was partially why Rielle lived in Itjivut away from cities. It was certainly a rough life and Rielle had to rely much on trade and magic to survive. But it was safer and you could actually be yourself. After the reading session we returned to training and finally I was able to use the sword. We started out with a broadsword and began to train. Of course we did this outside. I understood now why we had focused on stances and moving around in the snow. Although not perfect, I was able to hold my own thanks to the training we did earlier. I was quite experienced with swords myself since I had been training previously with guards for six years. The only thing that put me at a disadvantage was the snow. And the fact that I was still tired from this morning. Rielle was better at fighting in the snow and she was a little less worn than I. However she was older and naturally had less youth energy than I did. So it seemed equally match. At least it was until I slipped on the snow. Rielle helped me up then we continued fighting. After our sparring match she showed me some awesome new movements that she had found herself while traveling a long time ago. Eventually we wrapped up on our sword fighting and began on training in a different variety of weapons. After all there wasn’t a guarantee that a person would be given a perfect weapon for a fight. They had to use what was available.  I ended up training with daggers, how to fight with only a shield, fighting with a bo staff, a club, a hand axe, and a katana. I have learned how to fight with a bow, shield, and a hand axe during by training with the guards but I never focused on it as much as I focused on the sword. So logically I wasn’t as good with these three weapons but I did know the basics. As for the katana, club, and bo staff. I was terrible at fighting with it and completely inexperienced with these weapons. After finishing up with these new weapons our training session was over. I went back to the cabin, had dinner, then went to bed exhausted. I would have fallen asleep but Rielle reminded me that I had to write in this journal. So now I have finished writing in it. Yay. 

"I love sarcasm. It's like punching people in the face but with words."
Jadira

Character Info
Name: Jadira Lombelon
Alignment: CG
Race: Elf
Class: Fighter
Silver: 646
Dear Journal, 

Yesterday was tiring and as a result we ended up practicing magic with some educational studies. Magic was different from physical exercise since it seemed to use mana more than it used physical energy. Rielle must have chosen magic so we could give ourselves a break from physical training. I also ended up doing a lot of reading up on Egjora. Or at least as much as I could. There were few books that covered what was actually going on in Egjora. But I was able to pick up a few things. I learned more about Itjivut, the ice island, and the ice elves. The place was as fascinating as it was terrifying. I am relieved that I come from Adeluna and not from Egjora. Still I have to admit that Egjora’s city was impressive and Adeluna itself was by no means perfect. 
After reading up on Egjora, I practiced my languages. Yes, I was already fluent in them but it never hurt to practice. Soon I was done and we had some lunch. Then Rielle and I practiced a bit of magic. I already had a few spells but not too many. The strength and hunter spell were the only ones I have so far. I practiced performing those two spells then Riellle began teaching me the conjure food spell. It was one of the spells she had been using to keep herself fed. I failed massively at this spell. Even when we tried over and over, to no avail. It was such a pain! We moved on from magic and returned to reading. This time Rielle gave me a different kind of book. It was fiction. It had been a long time since I’d last read fictional stories. So I opened it and began to read. 
The story was about a warrior named Vadien. He had been traveling for a while and had found a beautiful little village. The village however was in a panic since all the elders had been missing from the village. They blamed the nearby mountain that had been smoking at the top. So Vadien promised to find the elders and defeat whatever evil lurked at the top of the mountain. The warrior was prepared for a fight when he arrived at the top only to discover that all the elders were at the top preparing some sort of magical spell. The elders explained that they had discovered that the mountain was not a mountain at all but a volcano. They all traveled to the mountain to try to put a spell on the mountain to stop it from erupting. But it seemed that all their spells were useless and they were starting to panic. Vadien sent the elders back to their homes promising that the village would not be harmed by the lava of the volcano. 
That’s when Vadien traveled down to the base of the volcano. He had a pickaxe and a shovel with him and began to dig a trench around the base of the volcano. His plan was to dig a trench that would direct the lava out to the nearby ocean instead of the village. When the villagers realized what Vadien was planning they mocked him or tried to get him to stop, all believing it was a foolish endeavor. All except a woman by the name of Irise. Irise picked up a shovel and began helping Vadien. She eventually managed to convince the rest of the village to join Vadien in digging of the trench. Together the digging of the trench went much faster and they were halfway done. But suddenly the lava began to erupt from the volcano and all the villagers retreated. All except Irise and Vadien who kept digging. Suddenly Vadien made Irise return back to her village. Irise was hesitant but decided to leave the trench and hope for the best. Vadien didn’t want anybody to get hurt by this. Apparently one of the gods was impressed by Vadien’s bravery and gave him amazing strength. Vadien was able to finish the trench using his sudden strength and speed. He was able to finish the trench and escaped the trench. The lava flowed into the trench and ended up in the ocean. Vadien had saved the village but gave the credit to the villagers for saving themselves. From then on Vadien was known as a hero. 
When I finished reading the story I realized that tears were dropping from my eyes. This story was familiar to me. My nurse, Rose had read this to me when I was a child. In that moment I had a sudden rush of memory of my dear nurse. She used to tell all kinds of myths to me when I was a child. I can remember it just like it was yesterday. My nurse always smelled like roses, so I often called her Rosy. The first time she told me that story was when I had fallen down onto the ground and as a result I had started crying. Rose saw this and reached out to me with such compassion and worry. I had reached back out to her and she wrapped her arms around me. I felt incredibly safe in her arms. It was one of the few things that was comforting to me when I was young. She then carried me up to my room and cleaned off the small scratch on my knee. Then Rose began to tell me a story about Vadien and the volcano. That had cheered me right up. 
Rose would always use stories to either teach me, to comfort me, or to distract me from the pain I felt. When my parents had forgotten my birthday or when my older sibling was forced to move with my mother to the court in Adeluna. Nobody else was there except for Rose and her wonderful stories. Stories that would fill my imagination and make the world seem so much brighter for me. She would tuck me into bed, hug me, hold me, give me comfort and love. More love than I had ever received before. Rose was my first mentor. She supported me in ways nobody else did and encouraged me to be whatever I wanted to be. Even if it was unrealistic that kind of attitude meant the world to me. I still remembered her last day at the manor. 
My tutor had decided that I was too old for a nurse and that Rose was doing nothing but filling my head with silly stories. The tutor asked my father to fire Rose and my father agreed. My father no doubt wanted more money for himself and by firing the one person who loved me, he would be able to save more gold for himself. When Rose came into my room to tell me the news I couldn’t understand. What did she mean she was leaving? I asked if I had done something wrong or bad to make her leave. Rose shook her head and explained to me that it was just that she wasn’t needed anymore. I protested furiously and ended up clinging onto Rose begging her not to leave. Screaming her name and crying out. One of the guards ended up having to rip me from her grasp and hold me back. I punched and flailed but they wouldn’t let me go. In one desperate cry I screamed at the top of my lungs.
“Don’t leave me!” I remember were my last words to her as she was forced out of the manor. 
When I was older I discovered the reason why Rose had been fired. The reason angered me and I grew to despise my father. At one point I even looked throughout town but wasn’t able to find Rose or even a trace of her. Now I was at Rielle’s cabin training to be a fighter. But that moment hadn’t ever left me. I had forgotten about it for a while but that kind of thing was something that you always remembered. Rielle must have noticed when I was busy reading that I wasn’t exactly happy and left the room to give me some space. Which I appreciated. I left to my room and calmed myself down. At dinner I came back out, feeling better, and had dinner with Rielle. During dinner we usually didn’t talk much, which I appreciated since it gave me time to think and I wouldn’t have to come up with small talk. Rielle didn’t ask or mention the book and my reaction to it. Thankfully. After dinner I went to bed early. Still sore from yesterday. Rielle had to remind me to write in my journey again. 

"I love sarcasm. It's like punching people in the face but with words."