Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Ancense Ruins > There be Gold in them Hills [event][p]
Akori Renu

Character Info
Name: Akori Renu
Alignment: CG
Race: Kitsune
Class: Bard
Silver: 243
Holding the lantern before her, Akori turned the corner, and pressed on into the darkness. She hadn't been in many mines before, let alone ones that had been sealed for who-knew-how-long. Usually there wasn't much to pique her interest in such places, so the kitsune had never bothered to explore past the first one or two. Once you had seen one dark tunnel, you'd seen them all, right? That, and miners didn't seem to approve of random fox-women wandering into their places of work, just to have a look at what all the fuss was about.
This mine, however, had many interesting rumours floating around about it - so much so, that she simply couldn't ignore it, and just had to come and see the place for herself. Akori wasn't in it for the precious ores, the possibly forgotten loot, or even a souvenir rock or two. No, she was in it for the story. There was bound to be some clue down here as to the mystery about this place, maybe a scrap of a note, a tragic tableau of skeletal miners.

And if there wasn't?

Well, she could still make a song about the experience! The odd, echoing sounds of water dripping somewhere ahead, the subterranean moss and fungi that glowed, casting erratic shadows on jagged walls, and the feeling like she was crawling down the throat of the world, towards its empty belly. Ooh, that was a good line, she'd have to remember that one, use it in her song. Already, she could hear a melody forming in her head, and she hummed to herself under her breath as she walked, placing her feet with a care for any loose rocks.

Bright-eyed, she looked around, completely unafraid of the darkness or of the fact that she was rather far underground. Her pack was stocked with food, water, and some other gear to keep her going for a bit. While she could have used her magic to conjure some foxfire to see by, she was actually being smart, and keeping her magic in reserve and using this rather fantastic lantern instead. For once, there was also a sword hanging from her belt, Akori having dug the thing out from the very bottom of her pack in preparation of her adventure. It wasn't simply for show, either. Being over four centuries old had given her a lot of time to practise a variety of skills - she just simply preferred to utilise some more than others. Running her free hand over the wall as she walked, Akori had to marvel at the colour and texture of the stone - oh! There were some obvious pick marks, just there. What had people been mining, she wondered. Iron, copper? Or precious gems, even silver or gold? Did they venture down here in pursuit of wealth, or to pry ore from the earth so that they could craft tools for farming, building - or even war?

Footsteps reached her ears, and Akori stood, turning to face them. Lifting her lantern, the kitsune cocked her head, watching the shadows dance over the walls.
"I don't think I'm undead, so don't stab me. I'm friendly, I promise," she called out, referring to some of the other rumours she had heard. Whispers of undead roaming the mines, and preying on any adventurers daft enough to go plundering their tomb.
Akori figured that, while there could be undead, it was also likely it could be other looters trying to scare off rivals. Or just stories to keep children safe at home where they couldn't break an ankle tumbling down a mineshaft. Either way, this was why she had brought her sword out of hiding. Even if she didn't need to stab anyone, it was handy for hooking things towards her.

Kythe

Character Info
Name: Kythe Sitari
Race: Minadrias
Class:
Silver: 682
Darkness; winding corridors… all the things Kythe loved and felt at home within. For quite some time Hyloth Dungeons had been her home in DaeLuin and even now she found places like this comforting. Something about it calmed her heart even when she was at her worst; maybe it was the ability to vanish into the darkness, to become anonymous and unseen… she had spent so much of her life seen by the world - unable to hide because of who and what she was dungeons and caves were a welcome respite from the prying eyes of the world.

Upon her shoulder Tymor gave a hiss and she smiled softly, raising a hand to stroke the dark head of her Pseudo-Wyvern. He was an angry thing but he was at least as fond of her as she was of him and he was worth the money she had paid to get him free of the cage in which she had found him… it had been far more than his actual worth in terms of cost but she did not care she could not bear to see any creature (especially distant kin) locked away in a cage like that. The Wyvern lay his head in her palm, black eyes staring into the darkness - neither he nor his Mistress had need of a light to see their way through the dark after all both were blessed with extremely good eyesight.

The chance to explore something new had been hard to pass up despite the pain in her shoulder and the odd waves of nausea she had been getting over the last few days - it wasn’t enough to slow her down more it was enough to annoy her… and when she had heard rumours of the undead… well… Kythe had never been one to shy away from ridding the land of their menace. There had also been mention of treasure; now Kythe wasn’t a greedy person, in fact ordinarily she wasn’t that bothered at the prospect of riches (despite her Draconic nature) but so far she had not found herself much work and filling the coffers with enough to sustain her until she did find reliable work would be useful to her.

Tymor let out another hiss and sat upright, wings flaring either side of her head to reveal the neon green undersail, his tail tightening around her upper arm slightly in warning as his claws dug into her shoulder. Kythe had caught the scent at the same time as her companion but she was less hostile to newcomers than he; taking the approach of another in her stride - seasoned warriors assessed situations, they did not react with force immediately. Not that she was unprepared, her hand upon her sword hilt just in case. As the other spoke Kythe let out a small smile. ”Well that is good to know and is very much reciprocated friend.” She called back, rounding the corner to face the speaker.

Kythe bowed to the woman before her, using one hand to steady Tymor as she did so - the Wyvern less than pleased at the introduction of another person. ”Kythe Sitari at your service, and the hissy thing is Tymor.”
Akori Renu

Character Info
A hiss, low and menacing, reached her before any words or sight of fellow spelunkers. In response to the sound, the bag on Akori's back began to move of its own accord, bulging and writhing as something within clawed its way free. Excited cheeping could be heard from within, and, with a furrowed brow, Akori swung the pack from her shoulders, and to the floor. With hardly a second between her opening the bag and drawing her hand back, a scaled, purple head burst forth. Bright, golden eyes peered back at her, gleaming in the lantern light. Happily, the thing spread its jaws in a massive, contented belch - revealing crumbs scattered about its face, smears of food all about its scaled maw. With a sinking feeling, Akori lifted the thing out of her bag - her stowaway turning out to be a small, somewhat rotund wyvern - and noted the ruin of her provisions. She held the wyvern under the wings before her, studying it and being sleepily studied right back. Sighing, the woman shook her head, and plopped the wyvern into her skirt pocket. Apparently, this suited it just fine, since she felt the wyvern snuggle into her side, and sigh happily. She hadn't any idea how it had gotten into her pack, but, well, she had been wandering for rather a while to reach these ruins. It was likely the little guy had smelled the food, and sneaked into her bag while she camped for the night. Well, he seemed friendly enough - she was going to assume male, rather than call him 'it' all the time - and it could never hurt to have more friends, right?

Oh, on the topic of more friends, finally she had a face to put with the footsteps. A striking winged woman, with an angry, hissy thing on her shoulder. Huh, what were the chances of that? She just found her own scaly stowaway, and someone appears with their own. Cocking her head, Akori simply smiled as the woman bowed to her, somewhat amused at the show of manners in both a place like this, and a situation such as this. Some people were far too serious for their own good. A simple 'hello' would have been good enough to earn Akori's goodwill and friendship, but to each their own. She wasn't going to tell people how to live their lives, or how to greet strangers.
"I'm Akori Renu, travelling bard and all around dashing rogue," she grinned, before motioning to her bulging pocket with a flourish, "And the lizard in a food coma doesn't have a name yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something."
Because of course he was staying with her now - he'd eaten her food, after all, and he was kinda cute. Besides, he hadn't flown away, so they were friends now!
"Is Tymor always so grumpy?" Akori asked, curious rather than offended at the less than pleasant greeting from the wyvern.

"So, you here for treasure, adventure, or are you on the lam?" Akori asked, swinging her bag back onto her shoulders. It would be a good place to hide, she had to admit, but you also ran the risk of getting lost. So, yeah, you'd evade the law, but you'd also end up dead more than likely, and that was no way to enjoy your life of crime.
"Personally, I'm here to see what there is to be seen," she continued, lifting her lantern once more to study the rock walls. The tunnel continued for a long way yet, and nothing was visible but the darkness ahead - and behind.
"Though there's not a lot at the moment. The trail is still new, however," she finished, shrugging a shoulder. Maybe this Kythe would like a companion for this adventure. This kinda thing was always more fun with someone else, after all. Shame she couldn't have asked Aspect if she wanted to come along, really. That would have been fun!

Kythe

Character Info
Class:
A Kitsune… that was what the woman before her was; she could tell by the scent of her… How funny – Kythe had gone years, decades possibly even a century before her path had crossed with one of her kin – Kitsune tended to be fairly secretive creatures at the best of times and now Kythe had come across two in short succession! ”Well met Akori and good to know you.” The woman replied as was customary amongst warriors, knights and general travellers on her own world – old habits died hard where the woman was concerned; a lot of people would not know the greeting and many others would not have bothered with it but Kythe prided herself on her manners if nothing else.
Chuckling Kythe cast a glance to the Wyvern, poking him jokingly in the chest and earning another irritable his and a flick of his tail in response. ”Ever since I rescued him a few days ago but he does not bother me with it; he’s affectionate in his own way and I fear his life prior to my purchase of him was not entirely pleasant which has probably soured his attitude to the world.” The woman replied, smiling as he rested his head against her own and let out a soft coo.

”The first two.” Kythe replied with a smile. ”Though your addition of the latter would suggest a guilty conscience, would your own response apply to all three?” Kythe asked with a wry smile. ”Though have no fear; if the latter is part of it I have no intention of handing you in to anyone. That is not my place, it’s been a very long time since I took up a bounty of any kind and I would rather give people a second chance these days.” She snorted. ”If you don’t mind some company I would be happy to tag along and see what the mines have to offer? Share the findings fifty fifty?” She asked, offering a hand to seal the deal.
Akori Renu

Character Info
Akori watched Tymor interact with Kythe, understanding in her blue eyes. She sympathised easily with the plight of 'lesser' creatures, those humans would deem simple beasts to be used or exploited, and could understand how such captivity could foster such a distrust.
"Being in a cage and having some guy try to sell me off for profit would make me pissy at the world, too," Akori replied, happy to give the wyvern his space. If he wanted to be grumpy and hissy, then by all means he had earned that right, as far as she was concerned!

Pleased, Akori grinned, before tapping the side of her nose with a finger.
"Ah, I'm always guilty of something, as my ma would say," the kitsune replied, completely unperturbed by Kythe's admission that she had taken bounties before. Akori didn't have a price on her head - that she knew of - and she'd only been here a scant few months, so surely not enough time to irk someone enough that they would send assassins or the like.
"Dreaming, scheming, loving and leaving, maybe even a petty theft here and there," she continued, her trained voice rising and falling with the words, giving each layers of meaning. Not for any other reason than Kythe was someone new, and banter was always fun.
"Mostly, though, I am guilty of seeking stories. Maybe I stick my nose where it's not wanted, but one must be diligent and brave for their art."
The people she had spied upon as a fox would no doubt have other words for it, but that wasn't the point.

"Done," Akori said without a second's thought, taking the offered hand and shaking it. She wasn't in this for the money, but maybe the fame and adventure would suffice. Also, the bard had a feeling that, if she travelled with this Kythe, she would gather some interesting material for some songs. The woman had an odd air about her, an odd way of speaking that piqued Akori's interest. She felt like someone that things happened to, and by sticking near her, Akori could experience them second-hand, and immortalise them with lyric and tune. That was worth more than any musty gold or gems found in a dank tunnel.

Moving to one side, Akori began moving down the mine-shaft once more, lantern held on the side away from Kythe.
"Do you mind the light? I notice you don't have one - if it's a bother, I could easily shift and walk without one," Akori smiled, motioning to her shadow with her free hand. Cast by the lantern's light trotted the shadow, not of a woman, but of a fox.
"I can see better in my other shape, but I also had fingers in this one," she continued, as if the evidence of her shadow were all the illumination - no pun intended - Kythe would have needed.

Kythe

Character Info
Class:
”Me as well; I don’t blame him for being angry in the slightest, though a little more gratitude towards his saviour wouldn’t go amiss.” She chuckled, stroking the Wyvern’s head gently.

Kythe snorted with amusement at the Kitsune; she was a bright soul with a zest for life that Kythe had to admire; in her own youth she had been a little like that… but she was older (and wiser she supposed) and mostly just sodding tired. ”Well there is certainly no denying you’re a Bard with the way you weave words Akori.” She chuckled. ”Stories huh? Well let’s make a new story together shall we? And if you’re very lucky I may weave a tale or two for you as we go. The Gods know I’ve lived long enough and done enough in my time to feed the curiosity of one such as yourself.” |She sighed, rolling her eyes at the thought of it.

”Oh no you’re fine.” Kythe said with a wave of her hand to dismiss the question. ”My eyes have adjusted to it while we made our introductions, my sense of smell will alert me long before my eyes will to any impending danger I should think.” She smiled, winking at her new friend. ”You never know, we may have use for all our fingers down here. Lead on and I’ll bring up the rear my fine foxy friend!” Kythe added cheerfully, grinning at the Bard.
There was something about Akori that lightened her heavy heart and she was glad of the Kitsune’s company. ”Are you from Revaliir then Akori?” Kythe asked, genuinely interested.
Akori Renu

Character Info
At the compliment, Akori sketched a quick bow, such as she would at the end of one of her performances. In her pocket, the wyvern stirred and uttered an inquisitive cheep, poking his snout out to catch what smells he could.
"I do try, and from what I'm told I'm rather good at it," the kitsune said with no ounce of humility whatsoever. Bard-craft wasn't in her blood, none of her ancestors had been bards or musically inclined as far as she knew, so every bardly skill she possessed, Akori had spent years honing. She felt that afforded her some reason to be proud. At the mention of stories, her blue eyes gleamed in the lantern-light, and the bard in her sat up straight and rubbed its hands in anticipation.
"I'd be careful offering that - my curiosity is rather insatiable," Akori grinned, wondering if Kythe knew what she had just signed herself up for.

"Never underestimate a good nose. I reckon we'll smell any undead long before we see or hear them," Akori said, before tossing her glossy red hair over a shoulder and peering down the tunnel, "Unless they're skeletons. They don't tend to smell very much, but we'll make do."
Hefting the lantern, Akori started to walk, confident that Kythe was more than enough to watch her back, despite having just met the woman. The kitsune wasn't much for doubting people, or second-guessing them, preferring to take everyone at their word. It was much easier that way, and if stuff did go south, well, she could always wriggle her way out of any sticky situation.

Shaking her head, Akori glanced about at the rock walls as they walked by.
"No, I'm from a place called Ioka. It's a lot different to Revaliir, actually. Less magically inclined folk - don't see winged people like you there, that's for sure - and it's much less varied in scenery," cocking her head, Akori thought for a second. She hadn't been home in centuries, and had wandered rather far, though the memories had started to blur somewhat. Revaliir was the first place to have caught her attention for more than a moment in a long time.
"I think that's why I decided to wander - home was nice, but nice can be stifling. How about you? Are you from here?"