Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Arri, The Desert Rose > Sularia > Dear Penpal [P/R]
Cinder

Character Info
Name: Cinder Rose
Alignment: CN
Race: Rosenite
Class: Assassin in Training
Silver: 5307
Cinder had grown up in a secure mansion hidden in the shadows. At first, she had no other children to play with besides her uncles and aunts. Her mother
Aria was on the sick side of things. Constantly going to see Angela and constantly being stuck in bed. They had always figured she was sick because of heart break. No matter how strong Aria was… She missed her husband. It showed slivers at a time whenever his name was shown. The way the light in her eyes would disappear and she would briefly frown. It hadn’t escaped Cinder whenever she looked that way.

She couldn’t remember her father but she was told her deep pools of blue were exactly like her father’s eyes. She had grown into her long dark chocolate curls and her skin was a few shades darker than her mother’s pale skin tone. Despite what her mother wanted Cinder had chosen to take up the family’s occupation. She was a student of assassination but during the day she attended the regular academy like her mother wanted. Somehow with her busy life she remained optimistic.

Today was the fated day at the academy, at least that’s what all the other students were saying. They would be getting assigned penpals from Iria. “Move please,” Cinder was practically yelling at the crowd. She was late getting to the ceremony. See, these penpals were random and there was no telling who you would get. She wanted the very best so she had wanted to be first but unfortunately she had woken up late. Late night training had been her downfall. Her hair was a mess and she was rushing up to the map. There were magic arrows that laid out and only a few were left. “I’m THAT late…”

“Early bird gets the worm,” it was one of her professors but the woman held a gentle smile. “Saved one for you just incase. You shouldn’t push yourself so hard Cinder… Especially at your age.”

There was a grin on Cinder’s lips before she took one of the arrows and hurled it at the map. “Come on… Give me someone interesting!” The arrow turned into a folded sheet of paper and floated down into her hands. She felt her heart beat a little bit harder and she popped open the note. “Sergei… Volkov…” She tilted her head. “What kind of freaking Irian name is that?”

The teacher looked over her shoulder. “That’s not from Iria.” Cinder got smacked upside her head. “That’s a Kurayian name.”

“Oh…” Cinder tilted her head to the other side. “…and it’s a boy. This is weird. I want a redo.”

“No, you keep this one.” The teacher pushed her away from the board.

Sergei

Character Info
Name: Sergei Volkov
Race: Vaewolf
Class: Heir
Silver: 273
It had been sometime now since Sergei had left home to study abroad. It was his mother’s idea after all; she was a creature of knowledge and wanted her son to grow up to be bright just as much as his father wished for him to learn the blade once his studies were over with. Getting into Iria’s academy was no difficult task for them to enroll him in, and slowly he had to adjust to day cycles that the rest of world dealt with that Kurayo did not, as well as a few other things. But eventually he did, and he was fairing pretty well in school both in grades and with peers.

It was early morning, the day where they were to be assigned pen-pals from Sularia. Class had yet to start for a few more minutes and he could see his peers around getting excited over who they would get. Sitting at his seat, Sergei looked nearly like his father- the marble skin paired nicely with snow white hair tied neatly into a tail, crimson red eyes that seemed gentle enough and yet he also carried his mother’s elvish ears. The young vaewolf himself seemed a bit nervous in who he would get. Beside him was one of his friends, an elf by the name Allian was fast asleep, having pulled an all nighter. It wasn’t long before the professor came in and called the class to attention before waking up Allian with a heavy book slamming against his desk and waking the poor lad up. Some of the other students burst out laughing but he quickly shushed them. “Alright, today’s the day you all will receive the names of your pen-pals. No trading, and no asking for a different one, understand?”

“Yes sir”, the class erupted at once before he started to call each of his students name and read from a rather long list of pen-pals they were assigned to by Sularia. When Sergei heard his name, he stood up and the professor rose his eyes slightly from the rims of his glasses and then looked back towards the list. “You have Cinder Rose, Mister Volkov.” Sergei nodded and fell onto his seat. A girl no less, which was odd since only a handful of other students had someone of the opposite sex. “Lucky!”, Allian whispered to him as the announcement ceased and they returned to their studies.

During their lunch break, Sergei was pondering underneath a tree while Allian and few other boys joined him.

“So, Rose…eh, that name sounds familiar…”, one of the guys said.

“Come on, you haven’t heard of them? She’s one of those Rosenites, one of noble blood at that. You hit the jackpot, Sergei.” Allian threw his hands behind his head and shook it. “Damn shame we can’t trade, otherwise I’d offer you anything to be her pen pal! Heard that those Roses are really beautiful. Man, some guys have all the luck.”

“Come now, I don’t even know the first thing about her”, Sergei returned, ”I don’t know what to expect, and even so, that’s not the first thing on my mind. We are suppose to learn about them after all. “

“Right, right. But just in case she’s cute, put in a good word for me. The professor said that we’d eventually meet up with them.”

“Oh…right.” Sergei had all but forgotten about that part, perhaps he missed it while he was still in shock at who he got. It didn’t help to settle his nerves that one day the two would meet up.

Cinder

Character Info
When Cinder got home that night she grabbed a piece of parchment paper and everything else she would need. She sat down and puffed up her face a bit. Her room was just like a princess of darkness’s would be. There was dark blue and gold everywhere with black accenting. Her four post bed had a canopy of dark blue silk over it. Though there were weapons everywhere there was also stuffed animals in one of the corners. Lots of frilly things as well showing just how much of a child she was still, though there was nothing wrong with it.

“Dear Sergei,

Hi! My name is Cinder and this must be as weird for you as it is for me! I am currently seventeen years old attending Auzial’s Academy for the Gifted. I am a first year of the Academy and before that, I was taught by my aunts and my mother.”

She stopped and thought about if she should include anything about the Black Dagger and her face went white. He would surely never write her back if she told him she was training to kill people. So she… decided to omit that detail.

“I am part of the Black Rose Court in Sularia. My aunt is the queen of the court if you can believe that. I live in a huge house by the sea with my aunt because my mother is very ill. I hope you don’t mind I want to read her everything you send. I think she would enjoy it. I have thick dark chocolate hair just like her but I get told a lot I have my father’s blue eyes. I’m training in a lot of minor healing things at Auzial and it can be really hard… What about you? What do you study? What’s your family like? What do you even look like?”

She thought about it once more and tilted her head. “What does Sergei even mean? I know, Cinder is a weird name but… Apparently, my father named me Cinder because I was to be the cinder that reignited our family. The first child born in the calamity. Does that scare you? What scares you? What are your favorite things? Who are you?

Sincerely,
Cinder”

She got up and took a long look at the letter. Before long the color washed from her face. “UNCLE COLDEN,” she shrieked as she took the letter and inkwell with quill downstairs to find her uncle. “I can’t write common yet decently. Help me translate this. I got my pen-pal for school now and I want to show him I can’t write common just yet so can you tell him that you are writing for me?” She held it out at him. “I completely forgot he might not know Arriese.”

After getting the help she made her way up to her mother’s room. Aria was laying in bed looking out a window with a book in her hands. Her mother’s green eyes met Cinder’s. “Hey, Mama… I got something to read to you…” She moved over and sat on the bed with her mother. She laid her head on her shoulder and began to read.

After she was done and got her mother’s thoughts she mailed it off by a bird. This would be the first contact.

Sergei

Character Info
The students at the Irian Academy were told that their pen-pals were to be the ones to write to them first before replying. There was excitement in the air as they couldn’t wait to hear from their new found friends, but Sergei was especially concerned about how this would play out. What if he seemed dull and boring? What if they were? Aside from being congratulated on having a girl for a pen-pal, he didn’t really feel as gleeful about the situation as a whole. Why did he feel this way about someone that he hadn’t even contacted yet?

Regardless, the days slowly passed by before the first wave of letters arrived and as soon as he received his, he went up to his dorm and carefully undid the envelope with a letter opener and sat at his desk as his eyes scanned through it numerous times. He had to agree with her on the weirdness part, which made him chuckle a good bit as he set the letter aside and withdrew a parchment of his own before he started thinking of what to write.

Hours felt like days to him before his quill started to get moving.

“Dear Cinder,

It is my honor to receive your letter. I’m Sergei Volkov, and I agree on the weirdness part. This is the first time I’ve talked to someone without seeing them. And don’t worry, your Uncle explained everything. I’m sixteen years old and am attending the Irian Academy, though I’m from Kurayo. It was my mother’s idea as she wanted my mind to grow and expand beyond the things that my homeland could offer me.

She’s a scholar and my father is a lord in his own right and is in the trading business.”

While it was tempting to tell her that his father was also a God, Sergei felt it was overwhelming and really served no point at this time.

“My house is out in the outskirts of the main city, enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside. But getting back on the subject, I have white locks and crimson eyes, gained from my own father but I have my mother’s ears. She used to be a Moon Elf until she met with my father and he changed her. Being here, I am to learn about using magic effectively, especially that of arcane and psionic, the latter heritage from him. I’m going to learn how to do that as well as train to be a swordsman like him as well. The best of both worlds, though I’m worried sometimes that I might push myself too far.

Sergei, in some ancient tongue, means servant of God, though I certainly wouldn’t put such shackles on myself. I think Cinder is a very wonderful name, and it must suit you well. To be honest, I am an only child, the first to make it through childbirth. My mother’s body back then wasn’t able to support those before me, but my father had made a deal with what he calls “The Redhead Devil” and they were able to succeed. Perhaps this healer had learned from Auzial? I know my mother calls her “Lady Angela”, but beyond that, I have no idea.”

The questions told him seemed out of place, but he answered as he could. “Scares me? I don’t know, maybe uncertainty. I felt a bit scared in waiting for your letter, and even more so as I know you will read this and decide where to take it from here. Anyway, I like to paint a little, read, study runes and go on long runs late at night, when the moon is out and about. What are your favorite things to do? You sound really pretty, Cinder. I’ve enjoyed your company thus far, can’t wait to see your next reply.

-Sergei Volkov

After he was done, he gave the letter to his professor that handed the mail keep and he sent out one of the messager birds to be sent out with it.

Cinder

Character Info
Cinder eagerly awaited the letter back and soon she was having her uncle read it to her. She had been reading up on the common language and was getting rather good at reading it but she wanted to make sure it was down. Her writing had vastly improved since she wanted to write back to Sergei. Cinder was intelligent as she had grasped the language almost in its entirety though a lot had to do with her mother’s help.

“Dear Sergei,

I asked you what scared you because I’m not so sure all that I can tell you. Mama says that there aren’t a lot of people in the world who understand what it is I do… Or more importantly, what it is my family is in the business of. My auntie Kirika is the Queen of the Black Court. The Black Court in Sularia is in charge of intelligence and on the darker side assassinations. I just don’t want you to be afraid of me.”

She paused her letter and took a breath.

“My mama was a slave before she became a Rosenite. My father from what my mother has told me was the one who freed them. She was sickly even as a human and they thought if they turned her she would be alright. She’s still sick but not as bad as it used to be. Some days she spends a long time in bed. She enjoyed hearing about you.”

The woman he had written about was her aunt but if his father called her the Red-headed devil it was best not to tell him. Though it did make her chuckle.

“I too push myself way too far. Aside from the training at the academy I also receive mentoring from the Black Dagger. It is an assassination guild that partners with my family. I practice with daggers and sometimes making my own poisons. My hope is to help my family flow into a better position. I’ve never killed anyone though… I promise. What we do here is to protect our country. I would only ever use it for that just like my auntie.”

She thought about her favorite things to do and blushed a bit. “I… collect stuffed animals. My uncles bring them home to me and have since I was really little. I like to read poetry by the ocean. My auntie Toya taught me how to ride waves in the ocean on a board. I like it a lot especially just before a huge storm when the ocean surges. I’m also an only child but most likely because my parents weren’t married long enough to have more children. My father disappeared and most likely died just after I was born.

What is Iria like? Sularia is hot all the time even in our winter. We work together to make sure we survive. All of us have to select an occupation to train for at a very young age so there is no dead weight. What is Kurayo like?

-Cinder”

Cinder wrote a translation by herself and it was obvious as there were many mistakes but she was trying. “Please forgive me… I’m really trying.” Was put as a P.S. at the bottom of the letter. She sealed it up and sent it off. It would be a long three months before they were able to meet. Their conversations would be interesting.

Sergei

Character Info
“Dear Cinder,

You needed not to be afraid of telling me that. I understand very much so the way the world works with life and death. Back home, that was a teetering thing the citizens had to deal with. Is that why you didn’t want to tell me? I think it’s pretty cool actually.

Sounds like your father was your mother’s saving grace. Tell your mother I said thank you for that. My mom was a moon elf until her people betrayed her and then…well she got her revenge. According to her, in the aftermath, my father stumbled upon her and he took her in. They both loved knowledge and would exchange what they’d know with each other, getting closer because of it. Eventually, they fell in love and remained together to this very day.”

There were other things he could have mentioned, but out of respect for his parents, he left it aside.

“Remind me to never make you mad, by the way. The last thing I need is my penpal throwing daggers my direction. Bet you will make a fine assassin one day. I’ll more than likely take over the family business when I’m older, or at least have a hand in running it. I tend to read as well as go on runs and hunt small game in my wolf form. I play cards as well as chess though I’m kind of average at that. Now that riding waves thing sounds amazing it not also a bit frightening. You live quite the life, Cinder Rose. I do feel terrible about what happened to your father, send your mother my regards if you may.

Iria is pretty chilly around this time of the year, but Kurayo gets colder because of its more southern bound. For me, the cold doesn’t get to me much because of what I am, but for others, it can chill them to the bones on the isle. Fortunately, Iria doesn’t get like that, but I’d argue that it's way more crowded and busy.

And I learned that we shall all be meeting with each other here in a few months, so if you can, prepared some warm clothes. Don’t want you freezing and catching a chill.”

-Sergei

He looked at the bottom of the letter and tilted his head. It didn’t bother him that she didn’t write in common well- it was what to be expected since she was used to Arrise.

“P.S. It’s okay. For what it’s worth, you are working hard and I understand the struggle of it. You don’t have to worry about being perfect with me or anything like that. I’m just want to learn more about you.”

Cinder

Character Info
“Dear Sergei,

Aren’t girls supposed to be delicate outside of Sularia? We get told by all the boys from outside Sularia that women aren’t like we are. I didn’t know if that would bother you.

Your mother and father sound both frightening and amazing at the same time. We have a lot of people like that in our family too.

I don’t think I would ever throw a dagger just because I was mad that seems very irresponsible. I am glad to hear someone say I will be a fine assassin. I don’t think Mama was too pleased with me going into the family business so to speak.

Mother did say not to fret about my father though but she did appreciate it. My aunt is married to a lycanthrope! A whole bunch of my cousins are all half lycans though they raise all holy hell. My cousin Aurora especially raises all holy hell. Heard she went after my other cousin Aelwen just because she could. They are always fighting but I think its all in jest?

Do you think it will snow then? I would love to see some snow. It’s always too hot all year long for something like that. I’ve heard that snow is very pretty unless you are stuck inside all the time. I’ll make sure I look into getting some warm clothes hopefully the seamstresses around here know what to do about that.

And thank you for being so patient with me while I learn my common. I’m hoping I learn enough of it so we can speak once the meeting happens!

I’ll tell you more about myself if you tell me about yourself. Of course, I worry about what we’ll talk about if we tell everything about each other here… I mean for the meeting of course. I just don’t want you to find me boring.

-Cinder

P.S. Sorry for the paint all over the pages with the small fingerprints. Angelette, my small four year old cousin, decided she wanted to critique the letter. I didn’t notice the paint on her fingers until it was too late. For what its worth, she says you sound cute. Think you have a fan.”

The months would come and go before they would meet in Iria. Cinder nervously bounced around on the airship as she looked below from the railing. She had never seen snow before let alone Parvpora. Though the snow excited her more than anything. She wore a heavy fur cloak with her long dark hair pulled back and braided. The airship started its descent and she found herself nervous a lot more than before.

Sergei

Character Info
“Dear Cinder,

I suppose that could be the case, or at least what the world would like one to think. I have seen all sorts of women- those that are delicate or seemingly such like my mother, tough, no-nonsense like Serafina, strong-willed and fierce ones like Alya. It doesn’t bother me, I think it makes you more unique really.

My folks are and then some, but I know that they do what is best for our family, even if it's not a favorable thing. But that’s how the world works; there are not just black or white, just many shades of grey. Your family seems very unique as well. Probably a lot of headbutting but I sense loyalty and love in your words though.

It probably will snow, the chances are very good. Make sure to pack some warm clothing just in case. Hopefully, we don’t get trapped inside for the remainder of your visit- there’s plenty of stuff around that I could show you!

Don’t worry about it- I think the encounter will be wonderful and I’m looking forward to seeing you in the coming months. Also, tell your cousin I said thank you. I was wondering about those fingerprints all over the letter, haha.

-Sergei”

The two continued to exchange their innermost thoughts and feelings through their letters up until it was time for the students to meet with their penpals. The Iria Academy was the hub school, so it was only natural for them to play the host. While the thrill of meeting their long-awaited friends was obvious among the students, Sergei was especially nervous over meeting Cinder. He didn’t know what she looked like, which according to his pals, was probably drop-dead gorgeous. What did help was that she seemed friendly and kind, as well as a little self-conscious, so it helped him a little to know that he wasn’t the only one.

Fortunately, the administration also helped to ease his mind as they drilled in the proper etiquette into the students as far as how to behave when the others arrived and as far as while their guests stayed. There were certain parts of the city that were off-limits, no improper behavior especially when it came to the opposite sex penpals and to be courteous. There were several other minor rules that were enforced.

On the day of, Sergei found himself in a formation early in the morning. All of the students were donned in their Glaciem uniforms. Their professors made sure to make any last-minute corrections and pop quizzed them on their responsibilities and the rules they were given. His heartbeat could have leaped from his chest when he saw the ship descending from the sky. His mouth was getting slightly dry and his stomach felt like it was in knots. Gods, why now of all times?

Allian was right beside the young vaewolf and playfully jabbed at his arm with his elbow and winked. Great, he wasn’t helping the situation at all.

“Students, attention!”, the headmaster called out and every one stood at the ready as the ship anchored and within time, the other students came pouring out. The headmasters greeted one another and readied to call out the penpals to meet one another. Sergei was trying his best to see if he could spot Cinder, but alas, he was gonna have to wait for his name to get called up.

He bounced a tiny bit on the balls of his feet right up until he heard his name being called.

“Sergei Volkov!”

He hesitated for just a moment before he clumsily made his way over to the front of the formation and stood by, all nervous as they went to call the name of the girl he had been talking to without being able to place a face onto her until now.

“Cinder Rose!”

Cinder

Character Info
Cinder was bouncing around nervously by the time they made them line up. Her blue eyes darted up and down the line of Irian students. She knew very little about Sergei’s appearance but if anything she had a baseline for what he looked like. He was also right, it was cold. Her other classmates had thought her funny to bring her new fur cloak but now she had a smirk as they stood there shivering. Didn’t their penpals warn them about the cold as hers did?

Once the headmasters called them to settle down Cinder stopped her bouncing and held her bag in front of her. For how skilled she was in killing people it was a little odd that she held the very magenta bag in front of her. She was still a young girl after all. She liked her frill, stuffed animals, and brightly colored objects.

“Sergei Volkov!”

Her heart skipped a beat and her face flushed just a little but it would have been hard to tell from how cold it was outside. Her face was already a little pink as it was.

“Cinder Rose!” She calmly and slowly walked up to the formation and held tightly onto her bag. She looked so shy but her blue eyes met with Sergei. This was her friend. She could finally see what he looked like and he her.

She let go of her bag with one hand to shyly wave at Sergei. There was a small smile on her face before the headmistress of the academy smacked the back of her head. “Wait for everyone to be done Cinder.” The headmistress whispered before Cinder pouted a bit towards her.

Once everyone was done the Mistress of the academy stepped forward. “Remember, you are to stick to the areas outlined on the map each of you has been given. We will begin doing partner classes where you will work with your penpals to complete certain assignments. This isn’t all fun and games as you will still be required to study for two of the days you are here.” There were groans.

Cinder was bouncing a bit now and finally, the Mistress let them all meet. She about rushed Sergei as she dropped her bag and took his hands. “It’s so very nice to finally meet you Sergei!”

Sergei

Character Info
Gods…when Sergi saw Cinder, he…didn’t know what to think. He had no doubt that she would likely be a beauty given her homeland, but when he actually saw the person that he had spent so much time writing to, that was another thing entirely. How on earth had he gotten this lucky to become friends with her? His mouth felt a little dry but he was able to keep up a facade of self-control, at least he had hoped so. She seemed to have the poise and grace that came with her profession, something that he had to remind himself of despise of her appearance. The sight of her smile made him do the same almost instinctively right before her headmistress caught up with her.

The time afterward seemed to last an eternality as he felt impatience tickle at him as his mind counted the seconds until he could formally meet with her. Every name that was read off after theirs seem to expand the session until the last few words rung out and they were allowed to meet with their pen pals. True to his teachings, Sergei came up and went to bow to her, but Cinder was quick on the draw and he found his hands in hers. He could have turned as bright as a tomato had he not replied so quickly to her.

“Yes, it is. It’s been such a long time. I am glad to see you’ve taken my advice, Cinder.” Her accent felt so foreign yet it held a nice smoothness to it, much like some of the wines he was allowed to try back at his house every now and then. From the corner of his eye, he could spot some of his buddies giving him a thumb’s up and whatnot and he mentally sighed. They would have drawn more attention to themselves if they kept acting like idiots as they were now. He bowed his head and lead her away from the masses. “I’m sure you will enjoy your stay here. There are lots of things I need to show you and the foods…your taste buds will also be exploring too.” It never did dawn onto him until it was too late that he was still holding onto her hand without permission. The vaewolf froze in place a little before turning his head to her and bowing it again. “Sorry, I had completely forgotten… “ His crimson eyes lowered to their hands.