Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Ancense Ruins > Purpose (p)
Damon Naur

Character Info
Name: Damon Naur
Alignment: TN
Race: Phoenix
Class: Ranger
Silver: 2019
Cold night winds had a tendency to blow a chill right to the ranger’s bones. The moonlight did its best to illuminate the Ancense Ruins, but there was nothing it could do to keep the man that huddled against the old structures warm. His gloved hands pulled his cloak tighter against his body to conserve what body heat he was producing to himself. Damon thought back on the years and could not remember a time where cold had truly been a problem for him. Being an entity born of the Flame allowed for such pleasures, but since his cut off…it had left him feeling cold and hollow inside. A shiver rippled down his spine as he thought of the severe cut from his once Master. It was not easy for a phoenix to give its full loyalty to another being, but once they did it was a bond that delved deep.

Damon tilted his head back to rest against the cold stone behind him. Blue orbs looked up at the night sky as if the answers would be there; he knew there would be none. While one had clutch to his cloak, he had the other wrapped tightly around the gifted bow to him. It still radiated a warmth that he wished he still could. Flashes of images ran through his mind of those that had been left behind at the Oasis, and all too quickly they were gone. All at once Damon had lost a Master. Not only that, he had lost a woman he had been able to call his lover. Damon had not had the opportunity in many turned years to declare himself to one woman. To lose two different women in a short time had been detrimental on his psyche.  

Thinking about it all again began to spur on another headache that he had no more herbs left to ward it off with. A low sigh was released in an effort to alleviate tension. Releasing the bow, Damon lifted his hand to rub the back of his head and then neck. He could not help but frown at how his hair had grown a little longer than what he preferred to keep it at. Even with all his travels, the ranger deemed to keep himself in fit condition no matter what. ”When it is light out, I will need to find a pool to give a proper trim,” he said only to himself. Though there were stories of dark creatures circulated of the Ruins, Damon found the location rather comforting and quiet. He could sense the creatures that watched him from the dark outskirts, but not any outward malice that made him feel concerned to fall asleep in that location.

He stretched out his legs in stave off any cramping in the morning. The leather boots he had chosen were still in fairly good condition. A green hue could be seen in his armor even in the pale moonlight. He could not help but smile at the fact he was worrying over such insignificant things. Over the years since his loss of family and home he had found work with random nobles. Being a personal body guard paid well enough, but none of them had given him any sort of purpose. Damon was an old creature, and still needed something to give him the want or care to be in the employ of another. He was a military like creature. Armies used to follow him wherever he would lead. Now, he wanted to find something that would bring him any sort of drive that would be beyond making it to the next day.  He needed a purpose. 

Nix

Character Info
Name: Mirannda Sinopa
Alignment: CN
Class: Retired Mercenary
Silver: 75
There was not enough contacts established, not enough resources earned to be picky with assignments and contracts. Thus, when Mirannda was hired, it was not the most exciting task. Some noble had decided to send the phoenix chasing fairy tales, rumors, and ghosts. Find evidence, he said, that the ruins are safe. Apparently, he wanted to host a little party there, but did not wish to endanger his guests. While the idea was generous of him, the task was still menial.

Trudging through the night, the woman used shadows where necessary for more difficult areas. Otherwise, her trek was uneventful. The cry of an avian would shatter the silence of the night periodically, letting her know that Elata was still nearby. As she reached the ruins, Mirannda's senses kicked into overdrive. So many creatures up here, loitering in the dark, waiting, hunting. These were ignored as something familiar tugged at her.

A short distance away, almost as if the moon was training a spotlight on him, sat a very familiar figure. Elata, in her fiery splendor, fine golden scales over her legs, rose colored talons gripped tight to the bough of a tree she landed in. "You know him?" Mute, she nodded. Images of a tree burning, a tense interrogation where she fought hard to feign innocence. Fierce, striking blue orbs staring down at her, angry, then later, kind. Mirannda was conflicted about how she felt about that man.

Yet, something seemed off. Her connection to him did not feel as strong as it once was. It was faint, as if he was very far from Mother Flame. Before even attempting to approach, the phoenix woman double checked her illusions. What would he do if he recognized her? Her hair was still the same blood red, pulled high into a tail, pale blue orbs sat over high cheeks, her cloak hiding much of her other features. There was nothing he would recognize except their connection to the Flame.

Hesitantly, she finally took a step when Elata screeched again. The bird spread her wings and swooped down toward the man. She landed a safe distance away, hopping toward him in short bursts, judging his reaction. When close enough, the bird reached out her neck, attempting to force Damon to pet her. Mirannda shook her head, boots crunching on rocks as she approached. "You'll have to forgive Elata. She loves attention." The avian straightened suddenly, glancing angrily at the woman who appeared of elvish descent. "I do not!" She fought to keep from bursting into laughter at the telepathic retort, managing only a smirk. "You appear cold. Would you like me to build a fire to warm you?"

Death is only the beginning.
Damon Naur

Character Info
Damon chuckled slightly at the soft hoots and snarls that playfully echoed from the shadows. Each seemed to want to know what had made its way into their normally quiet sanctuary.  Rumors kept the location relatively left alone.  If someone did manage to make their way into the ruins it was for some nefarious reason. For a creature such as the ranger to sit silently in the darkness without doing much…it was fairly unusual.  He listened to their small conversations as he huddled against the ruin behind him.  Thinking about how he could have stopped at one of the small taverns nearby made him agitated at himself once again.  At the time of decision, the ranger thought it was better to save his coin for another day.  Not that coin is low, he thought to himself.  Damon shook his head with a quick eye roll.  Being frugal always managed to get an annoyance going without changing his behavior later on.

A sharp exhale released just as a warmth began to stir in his chest.  The sensation was odd and slightly unsettling since it had been so long from when he had last felt it.  Damon quickly swallowed the lump in his throat while he glanced around the area.  The Flame brought on that feeling, but he had all but forgotten that connection.  In honesty, the connection had not been forgotten but the hope had been lost to feel that once again.  There was no deity that reigned over the Eternal Flame to give any sort of direction.  For those born from the Flame, it felt as if they were completely abandoned.  

Wings beat in the air to manipulate the landing of a bird next to Damon.  He did not flinch for he could already tell that it nor its master meant any harm towards his person.  The ranger sat a little straighter and silently grabbed the bow just for safe measure.  A small smile came to his lips as he noticed that the bird wanted some physical affection with the effort it made to come visit him.  "Your companion doesn't seem to mind strangers, does she?" he asked while scratching the bird just above her eye ridge.  Though his hands were gloved, the index and middle were exposed for better use with his archery.  "What brings a young woman and her companion out into the ruins?"  Head tilted back slightly to allow the moonlight on his face as a courtesy to the woman who came closer.  She looked young and of elvish lineage, and for some reason familiar.  It could be due to she was the source of Flame familiarity.  He did not like the fact that he could not place the sense that was in his chest, but at least it was helping him warm up to a degree.  "I did not build a fire due to the local creatures, but since there is more than just myself I would not argue with a shared fire for the evening.  There is too dense of chill in the air to truly be without one."  

Index finger tucked under Elata's chin to give a good scratch.  That was one of his favorite places when he was in his born form.  

Nix

Character Info
Mirannda frowned slightly, staring at her phoenix cousin. How often had the avian actually flew up to strangers and demanded affection? Unless she herself was in danger, Elata typically stayed at a distance, watching from her vantage points. With their new found ability to communicate with each other telepathically, it was now easier to warn the bipedal of dangers. This was honestly the first time the bird had done anything quite like this. "Actually, I think it has something more to do with… something else."

She was debating whether or not she should tell him anything, a twinge of jealous streaking through her. Even with a new land, Mirannda was still locked out of her avian form, and thus, Elata was getting the kind of attention that she could only dream of. "Some noble with the intentions to host a party in the area." Her tone was light, almost scoffing at the idea that her employer would be so stupid as to believe that this place would ever be safe enough for a celebration of any size. With a bow, she excused herself to collect the items necessary to build the fire.

Elata was thoroughly enjoying the affections from Damon, and interrogated Mirannda at the same time. "Why do you fear him?" "I don't. I'm afraid of how he'll react." "What did you do?" "Destroyed something he and many others deemed precious." "Why?" "Orders." She cut contact with the avian, and eventually came back with a sizable load of dry wood to start things off. Meticulously stacking it properly, and a hand flourish later, they had a nice little fire dancing, burning bright.

Sitting on the opposite side from Damon, the much younger phoenix wrapped her arms around her knees, hugging them with her chin resting upon them. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't keep from staring at Damon. "Do… I… know you?" She hoped that it came off as a strange sense of possible familiarity. Yet, she sighed and forced herself to look away, ashamed she was already starting off lying already. "Actually… Do you recognize me, Damon?"

Damon Naur

Character Info
There was a small smile that stayed upon the ranger's lips as he continued to administer attention upon the small avian.  She had an amusing way of going about asking for attention.  Blue eyes lifted to look at the stranger that had joined him in the clearing. While the woman was reserved, the bird was quite open to become friends…or at least use Damon for her own end goals. Since he felt no danger from either of them or their surrounding area, he was inclined to continue to pet her. The ranger shifted to allow himself to sit up straighter in an effort to make sure he did have a better vantage point just to be on the safe side. "Well, I guess I can feel honored to be allowed such a close contact then." The phoenix chuckled softly before he stopped petting her.  

He didn't want to stay in one spot for too long if they were going to be sharing a fire together.  Upon hearing the reason of her visit to the ruins, he couldn't help but tilt his head to the side in curiosity.  "Why would any noble want to take that sort of risk?  It's doubtful that they would have the skill to handle anything that would tend to lurk here…let alone of any guests they would wish to invite," he replied in disbelief.  Nobles were a selfish group that he could never quite wrap his head around.  Being a personal body guard brought his path to mingle among them since they had all the silver in order to pay.  Damon shook his head again before shifting his leg to right below him in a half kneel.  "I guess a payday is a payday.  Seems like a simple enough task to get some coin."  

A chill continued to hold him, but it was diminished further than he thought it could.  It was an odd thing, but he felt it was brought on by the arrival of the hired woman.  Her arrival was interesting as it were, but the warmth that came from her was even more so.  The feeling felt similar to when he lived in the Oasis.  Warmth that helped push away the chill that was in his bones.  Lifting his arm, he pushed away the hood of his cloak from his head to expose his face completely.  Head turned to look where the woman was coming from.  He saw her carrying a decent amount of firewood to light and warm the area.  

It was odd that she kept staring at him so intently.  Her question threw him off, but it was the follow up question that had him grab at his fire bow.  "I don't believe I ever mentioned my name, Miss.  So, let us start with how you know that."  Damon was now in a crouching position with his bow across his knees, ready to move quickly if necessary.  Though the feeling of familiarity continued to stay with him…his instincts told him to be ready for anything.  "I would be lying if I said that you didn't seem familiar, but it could be anything.  I don't recognize you."  How is it possible that someone could recognize him?  Unless they had come to the Oasis and he had dealt with them while he was the Captain there.  

Nix

Character Info
From the corner of her eye, she intently watched him, searching for his reaction. It came nearly instantaneously, the phoenix had jumped to the defensive. Mirannda flinched slightly, having been afraid that this was his course of thought. Doubt and suspicion was rolling off of him in waves. Not that she could blame him. If their roles were reversed, she would have reacted almost identically. With a sigh, she chose to look at the silver lining. At least he did not grab the arrow, notch it, or drew on the string or aimed.

"So proud of you, Jaliza!" Shooting Elata an angry glare, scrunching her nose a bit like a childish sneer, Mirannda turned her attention back to Damon, her expression immediately returning to a saddened state. "I'll take that as a no. I assure you, I mean you no harm. Kinsmen are too… valuable." In fact, the woman had taken great measures not to move her arms from hugging her knees to her chest. Even her magic levels were staying steadily low. She didn't draw any energy in, or prepare any spell other than the illusion she always has altering her features.

"You know me best by Arlyn Echelon. Here, let me show you." Mirannda's image shimmered. Her hair lightened to a pure blonde, even shortened to jaw level. Ears were no longer elvish, yet human in nature now. Green eyes gazed at him steadily. Deciding not to worry about her clothing, lacking a desire to completely enter that image anymore, the woman continued softly. "You're so much older, wiser. Compared to you, Damon, I'm but an infant, a blink of an eye in the vast time you have lived. I was raised without the knowledge of what I was, and it was the connection to the Flame shortly after I did find out that drew me to you. Yet… even you could not answer why I am bound, locked from my avian form."

It was mostly the whole truth, leaving out only the destruction of a valued tree, a precious symbol to many.

Damon Naur

Character Info
Damon’s breaths came calm and even as he watched the woman carefully. Even the flinch that she made in response to his quick movements was noted. He was not about to be taken for a fool. Heat rose in his body like it had not in ages. There was a desire to keep his life in this timeline, at all costs. Though he had no one left in this lifetime, he did not want to forget those he lost all too soon. His Phoenix bow balanced on his knee and held tightly in his grasp. Damon had his other hand free in preparation for grabbing an arrow quickly to notch and then loosen. With his demeanor change, the atmosphere around the ruins rippled. Creatures that had come to watch scattered while others came closer to witness what was to transpire. It was normally them that created the ruckus in the darkness.

Gaze narrowed while inspecting every change on her features. He took notice of her saddened expression, but it did not make his resolve any less. If it were necessary he would shoot at her. As she spoke in a calm voice, Damon listened. Even as her features changed there was no alteration to his intense focus on the woman. The name she spoke was familiar in a way, but not enough to give him any clarity to her story. Transitioning to Revaliir had been a drastic one even with the help of his Goddess. Memories had been made unclear, but there was no desire to get them back since those he wanted had been by his side. 

She is a kinsmen…that would explain the presence of the Flame in her…though it is muted. Damon frowned as he kept a keen watch on the woman. Blonde hair and green eyes stood out even in the fire’s glow that heated the area. The phoenix swallowed and clenched his teeth as he worked out the best solution for his current predicament. He did not trust any others no matter what they would tell him. Just as she said, the ranger was an old creature; one so old that he forgot the years that had passed. The necessity to keep track had been lost long ago for he did not care. What caught his attention was that she was one of his kind and yet could not access her avian form. All phoenix (true phoenix) were born in their true winged body. It took time and effort to learn how to change into that of a two legger, and yet she was locked out.

Damon refused to shift from his readied stance, but his head tilted in curiosity and not aggression. “You say your name is Arlyn Echelon. Tell me, when was it that you figured out that you were of the Flame and how? Your Flame is muted in your chest, and that could be how you are disconnected from your true form…if what you say is true. Many choose to lie to me, and I cannot guarantee myself you are not doing that right now. Call it years of experience.” His boots shifted slightly in the dirt as he repositioned a little. As he became more alert the more he warmed up.

Nix

Character Info
Damon was an expert at keeping is thoughts and emotions hidden from his expressions. He was still on guard, and she didn't expect anything different. Even with most of the truth laid before him, caution was the obvious choice. How often had someone led her astray with false information? Yet, she had done exactly that for countless others, planting seeds of doubt, effortlessly spreading untruths to keep herself shrouded in shadows. Even Arlyn was a major deception.

Elata simply curled up beside the wary male, intently watching him as she probed gently at Mirannda, trying to glean something from her. Reluctantly, she began the story of her origin. "There is no reason for me to lie to you. I grew up no better than a slave, unaware that my mother had adopted me. Ran away at the age of fifteen. It was either that or die at my mistress's hand for false accusation. Determined to always protect myself, I learned how to fight, and ended up using what I learned to defend those who could not protect themselves. During a low point in my life, only a few years ago, I stopped at a safe place to rest. But, a vampire had other plans that night. With some kind of music, he made us all fight each other to the death…"

She trailed off, staring into the fire. Thinking of her first death, Mirannda could see the events play out in the dancing heat, could feel the dagger slip into her chest and the life leave her body. Mother Flame's warm embrace, the confusion, and the forced deal for the ability to live. "When I ressurected, the vampire offered me an ultimatum. Either suffer extreme torture as he experiments with our kind, or disguise myself and work for a specific guild master, until the vampire gave me direct orders.  In exchange for working with him, he would give me power and strength. Afraid for my life, as I had been led to believe I only had one chance, I took his deal. He had me do so many black deeds, his little shadowy assassin. This was never what I had always thought I'd do."

Again, she lapsed into silence, her mind running through all of the memories. Long before she had met the vampire, Elata was given to her as a reward for helping a village within an egg, making the avian even younger than Mirannda. Once more, she left out the burning of a white tree with red leaves, yet Elata saw that memory flash briefly. "For some reason, he stopped talking to me, he disappeared. While I should have felt relieved, I felt lost and betrayed. Then, an eclipse darkened the skies, and I fell deathly ill. Even as a Phoenix, I felt so far from Mother Flame, that if I died, I would never come back. Yet, as I lay in the darkness, cold and alone, I dreamed. Two phoenix looked down at an egg in loving embrace as it hatched. The sun and moon shifted in the sky to signify days passing. One afternoon, instead of the bright sun lighting the world, a moon completely blocked it out, and the baby nearly died. Forcing the young avian into the bipedal form, the mother whisked the baby to Mooncrest, leaving her in a bundle of blankets on the doorstep of a servant's home. It was my mother's doorstep…"

Her voice was barely a whisper now as she continued. "I don't know why they did that. Could it be because the child would survive being partially severed from the Flame in her humanoid form? Would they not raise her because she would yearn for the form they would not restore to her? It seemed to not have worked, as I still nearly die every eclipse. And I couldn't find them before I got pulled off of DaeLuin and dropped here in Revaliir. Doesn't help I have to start all over, establish new contacts, learn how to control my magic here." After another moment of silence, her eyes flicked up to Damon with a small smile. "Got to say though, nice to finally find a familiar face."

Damon Naur

Character Info
Jaw flexed repeatedly as he contemplated the information that was being put in front of him.  There was much to consider, but to be on the safe side he decided to remain quietly on guard.  It was tempting to glance down at the tired phoenix that curled up next to him.  He wanted to smile at her, but it would give away any kind of emotion.  At this point there was a necessary barrier put up.  Bow was balanced on his knee as he listened to Arlyn speak.  He examined each movement that she made…which was not much.  The phoenix archer began to understand that she was attempting in every way not to provoke him.  

As she continued his jaw clenched.  There were years that he could not remember in his past due to the extended years in life.  Repeatedly he died and was reborn from those ashes as was the pattern of the phoenix.  As he had gotten older he had learned how to take on a two legger form.  It was then he had undergone the death to life cycle many times.  These small details he could always recall.  For a phoenix to not remember being born the very first time would be a detrimental hit to their life span.  Damon knew of the sales of their kind on the black market, but not to the point to lose their entire background.  Phoenixes were powerful creatures to have as a magical focal point as well as partners in battle.  Most did not learn how to turn as Damon and Aryln could.  How was she forced to change the first time if there was no one there to teach her?  Potentially forced magicks?  

It was the first time he gave any real sign of movement and readjusted the bow.  When she mentioned DaeLuin his memory began to flood back.  It was not intense by as if a darkened corner had been washed with light.  When he had first come over with the goddess his memories had been intact.  Why had it all been blocked?  The only conclusion he had come to was that he had such a shock with the severing from the Flames direct connection that it was a self preservation.  Whatever it may be, Damon had it back.  That was thanks to her words.  "Look, I don't have answers for you…I'm sorry to say that. Truly."  He knew that words were not going to be enough to show that he was sincere.  The phoenix slung the bow over his shoulder.  Gently he stroked the top of the small phoenix's head that was curled next to him.  "Starting from scratch is not the worst thing.  You have the opportunity to build a new life.  Don't let what happened before color your vision for the future.  If you don't want to take minuscule contracts like the one you are on…don't.  Maybe you should visit the Mother to see if she can heal your mind?  See what is blocking your shifting capability." 

Nix

Character Info
Mirannda gave a soft, sad smile. ”That’s what you said last we spoke, too. I did not expect tonight to be any different.” Damon finally moved the bow, slinging it over his shoulder. Did he finally trust her? Not wanting to take any chances, the younger phoenix did not move from her current position. Her vision returned to the flames, watching them dance as his suggestions flowed over her, sinking into her mind.

Having the chance to build a new life had been a bit refreshing. Yet, she still didn’t know who she wanted to be. A creature of chaos and death, damn the consequences? The Honest Mercenary, whose hands are far too bloody with the lives of innocents? A stray tear rolled down her face as she suddenly felt quite ashamed for the apostasy she had committed against her core principles. Those people should not have died because she rebelled.

Yet there was hope to be found. There was someone who might have the ability to help her? Whatever was blocking her ability to shift, Damon seemed to think it was something wrong with her mind, which seemed completely plausible. Her first sign of movement was wiping her cheeks. ”Mother?” After his explanation, the phoenix realized she never gave her preferred name. ”Hey, Damon? Could you, would you, please not use Arlyn? I’ve taken the name of Mirannda Sinopa here. If for nothing other than to protect myself. I fear… If the vampire finds his way here, I do not want to be easily found. You… And Elata… Are the only ones who know that name.”