Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Ancense Ruins > Family Bonding (P,R,Event)
Kyrel

Character Info
Name: Kyrel Gloreaver
Alignment: LN
Race: Human (Shadow Dragon Blooded)
Class: Diplomat
Silver: 405
The tales of the ruins were familiar to the Kyrel, yet up until recently, any entrance into the mines had been blocked by powerful magic. The curse that Gorrick had placed onto Edelweiss had kept as steady over the years, which made no sense to him because it was said that the God had fallen long ago. But now, the mines were able to be explored and what better time than now to have some quality time with his dear old nephew. The lad needed to get out more and get his land legs back and it took some convincing to get him to leave his mistress for a good bit. Besides, what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her as he snuck Vincent away from their hideout and dragged him back to Canelux. 

"So, Mister King of the pirates, miss her yet?", he teased as they walked down the beaten path from Adeluna towards the ruins together. Vincent merely grumbled at his Uncle while Kyrel snickered. "Come on now, you really that upset with me? Distance makes the heart grow fonder, they say." Regardless of his nephew's answer, his attention returned to what they were out here for. The ruins already felt as though they had a different air around it, and he was sure the duo wouldn't be alone in the venture. He expected there would be other adventurers seeking the rumored fortunes that were thought to be lost. It could prove problematic with it being so crowded, but he was sure that they wouldn't have to much trouble if they could find the less visited entrances. "I'm thinking that we should get closer to the mountain base, there's been talk that Edelweiss had secret entrances that many people didn't know about. Still didn't save them from being blocked off, but it's a start, right?" 

The path led into the ruins and just as he thought, there were plenty of people around; some gearing up for the inevitable journey and others were trying to make a profit selling wares that could be used for the mines. He wasn't falling for it though, a good explorer was usually prepared ahead of the trip. All he needed was his skills and the pack on his back filled with supplies. Vincent seemed naked by comparison, but he hardly had the time to get situated himself, but he would be fine just the same. "Come on, let's go around and see to the other ways in", Kyrel whispered softly as they skimmed through the crowds of people. The further they ventured, the fewer people that were around until they had gathered near the baseline of the mountains and found an entrance in the rocks. 

"Ready to go?"

Vincent Gloreaver

Character Info
Name: Vincent Gloreaver
Alignment: CG
Race: Human...
Class: Pirate Captain
Silver: 1919
This was absolutely the last thing that Vincent wanted to deal with. It all started when he was asleep in his private quarters on the Kingfisher when he had an unexpected guest show up. "The bloody hell are you doing here?", he had remembered saying, half asleep before he was rolled off the bed and landed onto the floor. Some ridiculous mission his uncle spoke of, none of which had initially gained his interest. The pirate looked to get back to sleep before he was tricked into coming along; the man knew which buttons of his to press and boy did he push them. They managed to sneak out of the cove, at least without gaining any attention and head off to Adeluna. It had been a long time since he ventured this much south of Canluex. It was the closest he had been to Egjora in a good while, and it was all the more dangerous for him to do so. He had betrayed his post and command, which according to law of the Academy, meant that hanging was a good possibility. With the alliance between the cities, he was sure that there could be wanted signs posted around here as well.

"You know this is a gamble, correct? I'm basically a fugitive in these parts."

"Relax, you will be fine. Don't even think I've seen your face posted anywhere in the city", his uncle explained. "Think about it, do you think the Acamdey wants to come out and say that one of their captains left their post to join the most fearsome pirate in the world? Trust me, my boy, they would want to handle this themselves. I doubt that the leaders in Egjora even know about this." Vincent had to think about it himself before he had to agree- they didn't need that sort of news getting around. There would be plenty of questions going around that they didn't need and it would be easier to send squads out to extract him. Or kill him. Gods knew that he didn't need to get hunted down and his crew got caught in the crossfire.

As they left the city and went to the ruins, Vincent couldn't help but roll his eyes at Kyrel. "Seriously? You are asking about that now?" In truth, he rather be back at the cove with her and not having to go exploring some old mines that probably didn't have anything in them with his uncle. Speaking of which, he still hadn't quite come to terms with this whole shadow dragon thing he was fed not too long ago. "Don't you have someone else to take here? I'm not the sort that goes spelunking on my spare time. And leave Furtuna out of this. You lucky she didn't know that you were taking me here, or else she would be using you for target practice."

"Yeah, yeah. You sure know how to pick 'em, Vincent. Or better yet, she does."

Ignoring him at this point, Vincent followed along with this outrageous idea. There were better things he could be doing but he supposed that by going along with this, he could learn more about his blood and this dragon business. He couldn't believe seeing so many people coming to see the mines. "Anyway, relax. I'm a friend of the family, I'm sure that your girlfriend would be understanding." His nephew couldn't help but to give him a seldom look, wondering if he was kidding or not. "You don't know Furtuna at all then. She set her own mother up for a ride on an airship."

"So?" Kyrel rose an eyebrow at him.

"Angela's terrified to death of not being on land, and she very well knew it too."

Kyrel laughed as they proceeded inside the mine. "Like I said, you know how to pick them."

He lit a torch and lead them into the winding, dark tunnel. The smell of decay hit them hard, making the captain cough up a storm. It also didn't help that every so often that there were sounds echoing about that seemed like…moans. Gods, what had happened here?

Cathrine

Character Info
Name: Cathrine Rose
Alignment: CN
Race: Rosenite
Class: Seer/Mute
Silver: 475
This was a good way to see if there were any lapis lazuli inside the mines. If you couldn’t trust anyone, you would have to do it yourself. Her long white hair was braided and thrown over her shoulder. Large white wings were folded elegantly as a halter-like corset top in a forest green came up around her neck. An off shoulder white shirt with a dip down the back was under the corset. Traveler’s pants in dark brown and even some well-worn boots were adorned by the queen.

She most certainly did not look the part but today was a splendid day. One where she could make strides in the archaeology word and well… find some well-earned treasure at that. A bow was in her hand and it was made of green sea-like glass. There was a quiver on her back full of arrows and they were situated enough to make her wings comfortable even with the weight there.

A sphere floated by her side and kept up with her as she made her way through the ruins. The moans were getting closer and that was when her green eyes spotted someone that she hadn’t expected to see. There was no sound from her as she latched an arrow and released it. The arrow flew past Vincent and Kyrel and into the neck of an undead man as he rounded the corner. A few more well-placed arrows and the creature was on the ground.

Cathrine made her way past them at first and offered but a smile to Kyrel before kneeling down by the undead. ”These creatures have been waiting a long time to rise. I would suggest Kyrel if you are going to explore that you be on your toes.” There was a chuckle as she strung another arrow and pushed herself up with the help of her wings. ”I wondered where you had gotten off to… A friend of yours then?”

No, just by looking at him she could tell they were related and she gave Kyrel a sly look as if he had hidden things from her. However, it was followed up with a silent laugh as she peered down a hole nearby.

Kyrel

Character Info
At least the boy was starting to loosen up. Hell, how did Furtuna stand him like this at all times? Kyrel was sure that given her reputation, she probably had ways of breaking his character. After all, he had heard talk of the Pirate Queen and how she could be a pain to deal with. He guessed that’s how Vincent got into the situation that he’s in now with her. Some things couldn’t be helped, even if it meant that his nephew would be in trouble with the law over it. But hell, they wouldn’t take him to the gallows, not if he could help it. “The smell might have to do with the rumors about this place. A god long ago got pissed off that he couldn’t have what he wanted here and decided to bring ruin. The mines were directly affected by his wrath and there were people, likely miners and such that unfortunately perished here. Whatever magic had made it possible to travel here again might have had some…side effects.” Of course, there was one thing he had forgotten and he slapped himself on the forehead. “No, can’t be. If the bodies were..” If they were preserved, then it had to be part of the curse, right? He cupped his chin, thinking of why all of this was going on all of a sudden. Perhaps it was Onnen indirectly? There was much that they didn’t know about the third continent and surely it wasn’t outside the line of possibility if it was.

So much thought was placed onto it, that he ignored much of the moans and kept going forward until the whizzing of an arrow flew by them and he halted. “Duck, Vincent!” He pulled the other man down and looked behind him. A breathless curse muttered from his lips as he saw Cathrine of all people with bow and arrow prepared again. Looking forward, he could now see the undead creature that stood close by, but not for long as a volley of arrows soon came and he was dispatched.

“Yeah, got careless”, he replied to her as she inspected her kill. “Guess the rumors aren’t just rumors after all. I think these lands have a thing for the undead. First mummies and now these things.” He rose back up and brought Vincent with him. “I’ve been around, Cathrine. Had to go and see family is all. He’s my nephew, Vincent. Captain and boyfriend to a one Furtuna Rose.”

He gave her a warm smile before it dropped just a bit. “Now what is a queen like yourself doing far out here?”

Vincent Gloreaver

Character Info
Name: Vincent Gloreaver
Alignment: CG
Race: Human...
Class: Pirate Captain
Silver: 1919
Vincent didn’t know what the hell was going on. One minute, he was listening to the explanation of this place, and the next he was on the ground face first. The moan of the undead man grew into such of agony as its putrid flesh met with arrows before it ceased to live its accursed life any further. The living dead were the last things he wanted to see, but it explained the stench around them. He took a hard gulp as he realized that it only meant one thing- there had to be more lurking around the corners of the mines. He lifted his head enough to see that his uncle was shocked to see someone, and he didn’t recognize the woman. But it seemed like the older Gloreaver knew her quite well.

Without warning again, he found himself pulled up to his feet and his eyes went from one to the other in piecing things together. “Don’t think you have to introduce me like that, Uncle. Especially mentioning Fortuna like that.”

“Who do you think Cathrine is?”, Kyrel said, tapping the back of the boy’s head with his hand. “She’s the Purple Court Queen. Meaning she’s Angela’s sister and Furtuna’s aunt.” Well, that changed everything in Vincent’s book and his tone certainly changed. “Why didn’t you say so?” He turned back to Cathrine, “My apologies, I didn’t know. But my Uncle has just been full of surprises for me as of late. Didn’t know that he had an..acquintance in Sularia.” Kyrel silently mouthed to him to knock it off, but Vincent felt that it was fair play after having to hear what he had to say earlier. “Besides, why are you questioning her reason for being out here? Are you her keeper or something?”

The lad was met with another smack. “Don’t mind me, just ribbing at him.”

“And this is what happens when good boys become pirates. Lose all sense of manners, I’m afraid.

Cathrine

Character Info
Cathrine gave an amused smile. You careless? I never thought I would see the day.” She tilted her head. ”Even if they are rumors I would at least come prepared.” There was no point in being caught up the creek without a paddle. She did an ‘ohhh’ face as he told her who Vincent was.

She mulled his question over. ”I am exploring these fine mines and looking for lapis lazuli.”

There was a chuckle from Cathrine once more as she looked in between the two men. ”You mean he hasn’t told you?” There was a tilt of her head as she moved her eyes over to Kyrel. Oh, the secrets this man had. It did entertain her. ”You could say that your uncle is living with me, Vincent.”

Once more the queen was entertained by the two of them and she shook her head. ”To be fair, I think anyone who spent prolonged time with Furtuna would lose all their sense.” For a moment she unnotched her boy since the boys were with her now. A hand went to her hip as she gave Kyrel a rather interesting look. ”I’m rather shocked that you wouldn’t tell him that you’ve been living with me. Knowing his relationship with my niece and all.” She wouldn’t say that she and Kyrel were an item but she did fancy the man.

Kyrel

Character Info
“Lapis Lazuli? Would they even been around at the time of this mine’s closing?” He was actually a bit startled to hear that those things would exist around these parts for that long… But that was mild in comparison to what came next. “I didn’t hid…that. It never came up in conversation.” It didn’t matter, he could already feel his nephew’s eyes on him without having to glance over. “Hm, is that right? You get me for having to deal with a sky pirate, but you neglect to tell me that you are playing house with a queen, let alone Furtuna‘s Aunt.”

“Hey now, it’s not like that, boy.” Aside from stumbling a bit with his words, Kyrel recovered enough and looked annoyed at Vincent. “I’m her guest!”

“I bet. Did you also tell her that her company has dragon blood in him? Shadow dragon that is?”

Kyrel let out a small groan, he had left out that tiny detail from Cathrine, who would probably use this as ammunition now thanks to Vincent. “I didn’t hide that either. But yes, I’m not just a mere human, neither is him.” Well this was a fine mess he was in, and she still seemed to drive the point home that he hadn’t mentioned staying at her home. Gods help him so. He cupped his face with one hand as he tried to gather himself together. “We are part dragon, and like you, I’m alot older than I look. Same goes for Vincent, whenever his blood activates.”

“Still waiting on that. By the way, how is she speaking to us this whole time?”

“Telepath. She’s a mute. But her mind is as sharp as any tongue as you can see.” Kyrel went on ahead and peeked around the corner. “Vincent, you cover the rear. I’ll stay up front. Cathrine, you will be secured in the middle and provide support to me.” Whether it was regular undead or the vile creatures that the Rosenites were enemies with, he’d rather be careful. Not to mention he couldn’t fathom still why she came here by herself. While he couldn’t speak against it, he still didn’t want anything happening to her.

“So how did you two even meet?”, Vincent asked, plying a bit into their past, something Kyrel wasn’t a fan of. What was the boy trying to stir now?

Cathrine

Character Info
”Lapis is always around somewhere. The stone while rare is very old and valuable. Its magic properties are why the Rosenites covet it. If I could find a vein or two here I would be happy.” The silly squabble between the two men made Cathrine chuckle once more. Her eyes softened on Kyrel for a moment. ”Playing house? That’s one way of saying it I suppose.” Whatever kept Kyrel on his toes was the way she answered. She did fancy the man but they had no movement towards anything at all really.

The white-haired woman stopped when she heard he had dragon blood in him. ”Well… That explains a few things about you.” There was a joke somewhere in what she said as she smirked. ”Matters not what kind of blood runs through his veins. Not to me anyways.”

There was a snort from Cathrine before she smirked. ”Are you calling me old?”

Well, she was old but she decided to play with Kyrel just a bit more. “I had a slight magic accident in the desert when I was younger. Severed my vocal cords and they were sealed by magic as never to be healed. I could get them healed now but I’ve adjusted and I don’t see the point. I’ve lived this long without a voice… What're a few more millennia.”

There was a nod from the Rosenite queen as she notched an arrow and pulled back. The wind picked up a bit but the way it moved she was acutely aware of it… So it had to be here. She came around the corner fast by Kyrel and unleashed another series of arrows. One. Two. Three. All back to the dead lands.

Cathrine mulled over just how much she should tell the young Gloreaver and smiled when she decided. ”He came to Sularia as an ambassador from Mamlak. He wanted permission to dig in the desert and retrieve artifacts. Of course, this got my attention and it was, after all, my call. I’ve grown fond of having your uncle around. My children are almost never home anymore.” There was a sadness to her voice but still she carried on with her duties.

”There is a shaft down just ahead. I can feel the air pulling downwards. We should find valuables past that point but I also sense movement more so than where we are now. It is best to tread carefully… Should have brought a cleric with us. Their healing powers could be weaponized against the undead. A mere afterthought but a good one to remember for later.”

The queen looked behind her to Vincent and chuckled once more. ”And just how did Furtuna get her pretty little nails into you? Since you want to be in the middle of our business.”

Kyrel

Character Info
“I suppose you did your research…no, of course, you did. That shouldn’t even be a question…” He was stumbling a bit more and felt a bit off. Damn that Vincent for stirring things up with him and Cathrine. Speaking of, he was having a ball laughing when she offered to continue with egging him on, much to his dislike. Of course, he was pretty sure that she was enjoying all of this herself. “Don’t tell him that. We aren’t…” His face was growing red which Vincent noticed and was bursting with laughter now.

“I just don’t make it a habit of telling people I get to meet “Hello, I’m Kyrel and I’m a dragon”, sort of thing. Not that I don’t trust you, I would have picked a better time to address it is all. I just told Vincent the other day and he’s been crossed with me ever since.” “That’s one way of putting it. Telling me after three decades that I carry dragon’s blood makes for a hell of a surprise, Uncle. Also, I think that’s what he was implying, Lady Rose.”

“No I didn’t, you little bastard!” He would have strangled him had they not had a lady in their presence. Kyrel was starting to think that he didn’t need his company if he was going to be so loud and obnoxious. Vincent did fall quiet when she told him how she became mute. “My apologies seems like the desert is a much more dangerous place than I thought. Don’t get to visit it often since you know the deal with Furtuna.”

The dead were beaten back by Cathrine’s skillful aim and they moved on up ahead. There were glimmers along the walls the further they traveled on. Seemed like they were finally starting to seem some of the gems the mines were famous for. Kyrel listened to her tale and nearly blushed when she spoke of being fond of him.

“Can’t get hurt if we kill them fast enough or avoid fighting them”, Vincent suggested, it was a good thing he brought his sword though just in case. “But it’d probably be better to go with the latter if it can be helped.”

“Indeed. We will have to remember to find a cleric though for our next adventure.”

“You speaking of all of us, or is three a crowd?”, Vincent teased. God did he want to hit him in the jaw, but once more, couldn’t because of Cathrine’s presence. When the tables turned on him, the pirate captain’s eyes went to her and nodded, “Well, I was a captain of the Academy in Egjora that went after her. After some run-ins and learning the truth of what happened with my city and yours, I defected over to her side. Of course, we’ve had our moments and it took a while but we found out that we had an attraction that went beyond the lust she is known for.”

Kyrel knew some information over what happened between Egjora and Sularia and knew, depending on the person, it was a touchy subject. “Hey Vincent, go on and scout ahead, please.” Giving him a questioning look for a moment, he shrugged and went forward, giving the two enough room to speak without interruption. From there, he relaxed a bit more in just her presence alone.

“I was going to tell you everything, honest. Just didn’t know when the time was right. It was hard enough to tell Vincent about it and didn’t know how you would have reacted. Your opinion does matter to me, after all.“, he admitted before hearing him call out to them, yelling something about ores and gems and such.